JINAN UNIVERSITY (JNU)
GUANGZHOU, PEOPLE’ REPUBLIC OF CHINA
XXX UNIVERSITY (XXX)
In recognition of the mutual benefits derived from scholarly interaction, Jinan University and XXX University agree to establish exchange agreements.
(1) For the purpose of this agreement “home” institution shall mean the institution at which the student intends to graduate, and “host” institution shall mean the institution which has agreed to accept the student from the home institution.
(2) Semester or academic year shall normally refer to the period relevant to the host institution.
2. Purpose of the Agreement
(1) The general purpose of this agreement is to establish specific educational relations and cooperation between the two participating institutions in order to promote academic linkages and to enrich the understanding of the culture of the two countries concerned.
(2) The purpose of student exchanges is to enable students to enroll in subjects at the host institution for credits which will be applied towards their degree at their home institution.
(3) The purpose of exchanges between faculty and staff members is to promote collaborative research, other educational developments and to further mutual understanding.
3. Student Exchanges
(1) Number of Students
The number of students that each contracting university may exchange is to be specified on the basis of mutual agreement. In principle, each institution may send up to two (2) students each semester for a full year or one semester with the number being calculated in terms of “student semesters/terms” (e.g., one student for one academic year equals two student semesters/terms). However, this number may be increased by mutual written consent.
While parity in the number of exchanges is the goal, the institutions recognize that it may not be possible in any given semester of the exchange. Every effort will be made to achieve parity over a period of three academic years.
(3) Duration of Exchanges
The period of exchange shall not exceed one academic year in principle. Upon completion of the term of exchange, exchange students are required to return to their home institution. The approval of both institutions is necessary for any form of extension to the exchange.
(4) Selection and Enrollment of Students
(a) Each institution will send the other completed applications for their students before the official deadline. The host institution reserves the right of final approval on the admission of a student.
(b) Undergraduate students are eligible to participate if they:
- have completed at least one year of study at their home institution;
- are enrolled at their home and host institution for the full period of the exchange;
- have an enrollment proposal, approved by their home and host institution, and are deemed academically qualified to successfully complete the nominated subjects at the host institution. Each institution will inform the relevant International Office of subject availability, including enrollment limitations and conditions;
- have obtained agreement from their home faculty that, upon successful completion of the subjects at the host institution, full credit may be granted towards the degree by their home institution. In some circumstances, a student may undertake a clinical or practical assignment as part of an exchange program;
- have satisfied minimum requirements suggested by host institution.
(5) General Provisions
(a) Exchanges will conform to the requirements of the home institution. Exchange students will be subject to the rules and procedures.
(b) Exchange students will participate in the normal academic courses offered by the host institution.
(c) In selecting courses, students may choose from the range of courses offered at each institution. The responsible officers will inform each other about any courses which may have limited enrollment and will make every effort to assist students in enrolling in such courses.
(d) Each student will be provided with the same academic resources and supporting services as are normally provided to others at the host institution of the same academic level. An academic adviser will be designated to assist students enrolled in the exchange program.
(e) Students from both institutions shall take out appropriate health and non-life insurance.
(f) Both institutions undertake to send official transcripts of academic records directly to the exchange students’ home university, specifying courses studied, evaluation of performance and credits earned at the host institution. The home institution may award its students credits according to its own regulations for studies they have completed at the host institution.
(g) It is not anticipated that spouses or dependents will accompany any of the students. Where such an arrangement is proposed, it is subject to the approval of the host institution on the understanding that all additional expenses incurred by accompanying spouses or dependents are the responsibility of the individual exchange student.
(6) Financial Responsibilities
(a) Students will pay their regular tuition and fees to the home institution. No further tuition costs will be charge by the host institution.
(b) Exchange students will be responsible for the payment of housing-related costs, transportation, food, medical insurance, medical treatment and all other personal expenses.
(c) The home institution shall satisfy itself that a candidate for exchange has the ability to meet all his or her financial responsibilities as detailed above.
Students from home institution are guaranteed accommodation, if they choose it, in host institution
dormitory as long as the application forms are submitted by the official deadline.
4. Faculty and Staff Exchanges
The two institutions agree in principle to the possibility of exchanges by general staff (administrative and technical) and faculty members. The details of such arrangements will be negotiated at the appropriate time and will be governed by the institutional staffing rules and relevant approval processes. The participating institutions shall not be responsible for any private arrangements made by participating staff members concerning exchange of accommodation, vehicles, etc.
5. Exchange Program Review
Both institutions will be responsible for a regular review of the exchange program on a yearly basis. The review is essential in order to make appropriate and mutually agreed modifications as may be required, and to identify new opportunities for cooperation in scholarship and research.
6. Period of the Agreement
This agreement is valid for a period of five (5) years from the date of the final signature and may be renewed automatically, unless written notice is issued from either university concerning revision or termination of the Agreement at least six (6) months prior to the expiration of the Agreement.
This agreement has been accepted by the President of Jinan University and the President of XXX University.